Saturday, February 16, 2013

Handle what I'm given w/ a giant box of chocolates

I recently found the above quote and it's something that Bryan and I feel is true.  It's often heard, especially in LDS culture, that "God won't give you more than you can handle", well this past 9 months has proved that wrong for us.  A brain tumor, 6 surgeries, chemotherapy, middle-of-the-night-wakings for tingly toes and body aches (or for who knows what?! because sometimes she can't really express it), hair loss, nausea, 3 weeks of a fever, double ear infection, ringing in her ears leading to possible hearing loss, a new baby, midnight feedings, thrush, RSV, 4 top teeth coming in all at once - and lots of heartache for it all - that's definitely more than I can handle.  And Heavenly Father knows that.  And He's sent help for us in so many ways.  But oh how I long for a good week of sleep again.  Oftentimes I feel just plain tired.  And it's sad when waking up every hour for 6-7 hours a night feels more restful than 5 straight hours, a 10 minute feeding, and then 2 more hours (I guess my body is just more used to waking up every hour?!).  Unfortunately I think that tiredness is gonna last until we're done with chemo....or maybe in 5 years when she'll be "cancer free"? Who knows.  But no thanks to that cat that apparently chose to DIE outside our window last night - really appreciated that howling for like a half hour at 3am (especially since Dallin had already woken up once with a coughing attack - thank you RSV - and would wake up again at like 5 to eat and have more coughing attacks and consequently throw up all over himself/me/floor twice which turned into an hour long ordeal).  Sadly, there was no carcass on our doorstep this morning.  Darn cat.

I swear my life isn't all depressing though.  We did manage to sneak out of the house for a nice Valentine's dinner sans kids at Wild Ginger for some all-you-can-eat sushi (not as good as Pagoda in SLC, but still pretty good).  And Bryan bought me a GIANT box of chocolates
Look at that thing!  It's 2 1/2 lbs! I'm trying to limit myself to one piece a day....so far it's not working :) But this is partly the way I "handle what I'm given" ;)

We also went to Target last night and they were doing their 50% off sale for the dollar section - this is like my favorite thing ever.  As if $1 wasn't already a good deal, they tempt me even more by making a bunch of stuff only $0.50!  Love it.

Hopefully next time I manage to blog Dallin's RSV will be completely gone....and maybe that cat will be too.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Just WOW. Aleta, there are no words! That sounds absolutely HORRIBLE. I've been wanting to steal you away and buy ya lunch or something to get your mind off things. Let me know when this becomes an option for you because I would love to spoil you with food (chocolate included!) and have a nice, long chat about everything. I still think about you often and pray for you and your little fam. Big hugs, my old Anet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cat sounds like a demon sent from the Underworld. You guys are strong and awesome, and I will gladly help you eat those chocolates if you need it.

    ReplyDelete