Monday, May 21, 2012

Medical Expenses

This has been quite the year for medical expenses for our family :(  Usually, we don't go to the doctor or when we do it's preventive care so we only pay the co-pay, so we're talking under $100/year.  So we should be grateful that we generally don't pay anything, but this year has shown me that I really miss my old health insurance (100% coverage from my old job vs. the 80-20 plan we're on now through Provo School District).  We met the deductible for Bryan with his dislocated & broken finger, we just met the deductible for me and haven't even paid for the birth of this baby yet, I'm sure we'll meet the deductible for the baby too (since unfortunately when he's born he will count as a person), so the only one we haven't met that on is Holland.  However, there is a chance that we'll meet it for her too since she may possibly need an MRI.  I have no idea how much an MRI would be, but it doesn't sound cheap.
Oh, and here's Bryan's lovely finger.
The last week or so Holland has been telling us that her head hurts.  It's been on an off, but has progressively gotten worse.  It's mostly at night/morning - and it's been waking her up in the middle of the night.  Tylenol doesn't seem to help much anymore.  Lately when we ask her where it hurts, she's been pointing to her cheeks/molars.  Yesterday was definitely the worst.  She'll go from being totally fine and happy to whimpering and crying.  Poor Bryan only got like 3-4 hours of sleep last night because she stayed awake for hours (I thankfully got more than that, but still not the most restful sleep.  The problem is that if I get up, then  when I lay back down again it takes an extra half hour to get back to sleep because the baby starts moving like crazy - Holland never did that when I was pregnant with her, so this is a new experience for me).  So after at least 4 nights of horrible sleep, I took her to the doctor today.  And the verdict: Inconclusive.  Not totally what I wanted to hear.  No fever, no congestion, ears are fine, throat is fine, a lymph node behind her left ear is slightly swollen.  She also bonked her head about 2 weeks ago, but that's probably unrelated.  She's also thrown up twice (last Wednesday morning and yesterday morning from being nauseous from the headaches).  She's been doing a little bit better today so he said we could wait a few more days and see, but if it doesn't continue to improve or gets worse, he'd recommend getting an MRI (mind you - this is coming from my laid back pediatrician).  He never actually said "brain tumor", but that's essentially what we'd be checking for.  He said 99% of the time it comes back fine and then we'd just have to assume that it's some sort of bug and hopefully would go away.  So, Bryan gave her a priesthood blessing - we're leaning toward the side of "it's some sort of bug that hasn't worked its way out yet".

If we do end up needing the MRI or additional tests, the one good? thing is that our out-of-pocket max is $6,000.  I am definitely grateful for health insurance; however, I still cringe at the sound of $6,000.  I don't think we're actually looking at a brain tumor (those are extremely rare in children), but even if it's something that just needs to work its way out of her system, prayers on her behalf are appreciated.  We're hoping that she quickly gets better so we can all get more sleep!  And hopefully next year we can go back to minimal medical expenses :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, I am so sorry Aleta! How sad for little Holland. I will pray that you guys will find some answers (good answers) for her. And then you have pregnancy, sleep deprivation, And medical bills on top of that (I miss our old insurance too!). Ugh. I seriously feel for you. So, SO sorry. :(

    ReplyDelete