Sunday, November 17, 2013

Getting used to the idea

So I'm still getting used to the idea that we're having a BOY.  For the last 3+ months we were pretty sure this was a girl (lots of different reasons why, but all pointing to girl).  Since we were kind of already planning on it, I was excited to pull out the baby girl clothes, we had kind of decided on a name, and we had already thought about how our family was going to change in that way (including making her her own distinct person and not just as a way to replace Holland).  And now I'm sad I don't get to paint the 3rd bedroom pink (at least not for a couple of years anyway).  And thinking about "boy" colors to paint it, just isn't too exciting.  I was thinking about maybe doing it in green because it's more gender neutral and I wouldn't have to repaint later, but I really don't want to do that since so many other things in the house are green - namely, 90% of the carpet.  And I don't want to do yellow since 90% of the walls in the house are beige/brown and the carpet in that room is light brown - it just wouldn't look good.  And i don't want to do red or orange, so that pretty much leaves me with blue.  Not too excited about that option either.  Here's how I want to paint it (except I wanted to do pink, not blue)
And let's be honest - boy stuff just isn't as cute.  It's a fact.  I went to Target the other night and stopped by the kid's clearance rack just to see what they had - girl stuff was all super cute; there was not much boy stuff and what they did have was not cute at all and in fact was just kind of dumb.  Bleh.

So, like I said, I think it's just gonna take so time to get used to the idea.  It'll be fun for Dallin to have a little brother to play with - although, I am a bit nervous because I've known plenty of sets of brothers that are close in age and don't get along (I know it depends a lot on personality though).  I'm just still trying to find more positives than negatives in all this….and I haven't even shared all of the negatives….

But I'll leave you on a good note: Dallin LOVED watching it snow this weekend - he was totally fascinated by it.  I don't have a picture of it, so here's a picture of him playing in the leaves instead:

2 comments:

  1. I've yet to experience what it's like to have a girl (though I desperately want to), but I can say that regarding dressing boys -- their clothing options might not be as cute or as frilly, but they're definitely easier to dress. If I do ever get a baby girl, I'm afraid of being overwhelmed by the accessories! Also? They need fewer shoes: play shoes, church shoes, sandals for the summer and boots for the winter, and that's it. So that'll save you a few bucks at least. ;) (On a related note, don't judge all boy clothes by the selection at Target. I'm rarely impressed with their options. Carters and OshKosh all the way! I swear those two retailers were designed with little boys in mind.)

    And you're right -- it does depend a little on personality whether or not brothers close in age will get along. My 3 can fight and argue with the best of them, but at the same time, I've noticed that even they can appreciate having a like-minded friend built right into their family. So there's hope!

    Hang in there. You've got plenty of time to get used to the idea. As I've learned from my own experiences, it's way better to shed a few gender-related tears in a dark ultrasound room than in the delivery room. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those stripes!! Everything will work out!

    ReplyDelete