Monday, May 13, 2013

Holland's birthday

For Holland:

Happy Birthday sweetie pie!  I can't believe you're 4 years old today!  I'm so grateful to be your mother - I love that I get to be your friend and help you learn and grow everyday.  My favorite part so far today has been seeing the HUGE grin on your face every time I wish you a "happy birthday" - which I've probably already said it to you like 20 times, and the day's only half way over :)  I love it.  You've always been that way too - and here's proof: 1st birthday
 2nd birthday:
3rd birthday
I guess I'll have to update this with a picture from this year too :)
You're 3rd birthday was definitely a special one - we had no idea what we were about to face.  You had already mentioned a few times that your head hurt, but we shrugged it off, thinking you were talking about when you bonked heads with your best friend, Alice.  Everyone who came to your party that year commented how crazy it was that they had just seen you at your birthday party and how normal you looked and how everything was fine - and then boom, we find out you had a brain tumor just 2 short weeks later.  And I find it ironic that May is Brain Tumor Awareness month.  Because of everything we've been through in the last year, words can't even express how grateful I am that you are still here with us to celebrate your special day!  And you're doing so well, despite all you've been through and are currently going through.  5 brain surgeries is no small thing!  I'm amazed that you've recovered from each and every one - you still have all of your motor abilities (something we worried about with each surgery).  And now you're dealing with chemotherapy like a champ!  Sure, we've had our rough spots, including a number of sleepless nights and even 2 middle-of-the-night ER trips, but you don't let the chemo drugs slow you down.  Seriously.  Lots of people tell me that they're surprised with how much energy you still have.  Besides the thinner hair, which most people probably don't notice too much anyway, you really wouldn't know you're having chemo treatments.  It's amazing.
And so, Happy Birthday my little ball of energy!  I hope to be able to celebrate many more with you.  I love you!

~Mom

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet post! I got Holland a gift and brought it to work with me so I could give it to her when we went to lunch. Then I remembered you couldn't go this week. Sad day... I will have to stop by on my lunch break or something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, Happy (late) birthday to brave, sweet Holland! :)

    ReplyDelete