She did totally fine the entire time...until about 20 minutes before the end when her finger was HORRIBLY pinched by a door. It was so bad that it looked blistered and the entire tip of her finger was white. So I held her and tried to calm her down and then went into the classroom to talk to the teachers and find out what happened. Now don't get me wrong - I know stuff like this happens. She's a kid. She will get hurt. However, I guess both teachers weren't paying attention when it happened?! Apparently one of the dad's poked his head in to check on his kid and when he closed the door, that's when Holland's finger was smashed (from the story it sounded like it was the side with the hinges). There were 2 adults and only like 6 kids, so not too hard to handle, right? Benefit of the doubt: maybe they did notice, they just couldn't grab her in time to keep her from getting hurt. Anyway, I tried to get Holland to calm down and read some books, but she didn't want any of that - not even an Elmo book (which she loves). So I figured maybe it was throbbing so bad that we'd need some ice, so we went back to Relief Society to grab my stuff so we could go. I sat down on the chair and she was totally fine - and she was fine for the rest of the class. So obviously she really didn't want to be in nursery after being hurt!
But my real concern is what is going to happen next week. I'm kind of nervous that she won't want to go back. It's funny because usually I don't worry about stuff like this, but I think because it was so nice to be able to listen during the block classes and the fact that I really appreciate the break - that's why I'm kind of paranoid. I'm sure if Bryan was with me on Sundays, it wouldn't be as big of a deal because we could just take turns with her if she was insistent on not going back. But I don't have that luxury. So let's all pray, for my sake, that she will want to go back to nursery next week!
And now to my calling: Once again, I was not sustained today. The clearance still hasn't come thru. But I think I'm gonna cheat on this one too and just tell you :) It's Cub Scout Den Leader. So remember my last post when I said I was kind of excited about it? Yeah, I am. But I don't really know why. But when they extended the calling, I had a good feeling about it. Also, there's only 4 (soon to be 5) boys in the group. Not bad! The only problem is that I know NOTHING about scouts. Yes, I have 2 brothers, but they are the oldest and I'm the youngest, so they were done with scouts by the time I was like 7. Anyway, the last couple of weeks have been a lot of learning and trying to figure out pins and arrows and belt loops and wolfs and bears and beads, etc. But I think it will be kind of nice for me to interact with a different age group (and have some time away from Holland - yes, I love her, but I spend almost every waking moment of the day with her!). So yeah, I kind of excited! It will be a lot of work (I think more than it sounds and more than I originally thought), but this will definitely come in handy if we ever have a boy some day. So there you go. And lesson learned, if you don't want a calling, never say you don't want it because eventually you'll probably get it :)
Oh poor Holland. Hopefully it wasn't too traumatic and she will forget all about it next week! That's gotta be tough not having your hubby around to help.
ReplyDeleteAnd congrats on the calling! I'm sure you will be awesome and the boys will love you. And although I love Toby to pieces, I have to say that some of my meetings are a nice, welcomed break! :) I'm excited for you!
So I just got a call from one of the nursery leaders who was checking to make sure Holland's finger was ok and she apologized again that she got hurt. Definitely a nice gesture on her part. Overall I'm just glad that Holland didn't break/lose her finger (which totally could've happened had her finger been in the crack slightly more). And hopefully she won't hate nursery after this.
ReplyDeleteAnd Debbie - you are amazing at commenting! I love getting your comments - they always make me feel good :) We should do lunch again!