Sunday, April 25, 2010

S'mores Ice Cream

So Bryan and I have been in a little kick lately to bust out the old ice cream maker and start trying out some unique ice cream flavors.

The 1st creation: Strawberry Pina Colada! The flavor was good, but actually I didn't love the recipe because it left the spoon kind of greasy (it was a custard base and between the eggs, whipping cream and lite coconut milk, it was just too much of that stuff that creates love handles).

The 2nd creation: S'mores ice cream! What a good idea - Bryan totally came up with that one himself...and he even came up with the idea of toasting the marshmallows before we added it to the mix! Yum! I love toasted marshmallows (it's one of my favorite JellyBelly flavors too - that and buttered popcorn. I know - some of you (if anyone actually reads this blog) are saying, "ew, gross", but I love it and I'm not ashamed of it...but I digress). We're still waiting for it to freeze all of the way, but I took a spoonful and it's pretty good. We made a chocolate ice cream base and added toasted marshmallows, graham cracker pieces, and a Hershey's chocolate bar. Only one problem - we didn't quite have enough ice, so it ended up churning a lot and now it's a little frothy, but I think once it freezes the rest of the way it will be better. But I still can't wait to eat it. :)
I think by the end of the summer we may have this homemade-ice-cream-making-thing down to a science. If you have any ideas for future flavors, please let us know (we'll even share with you!).

3 comments:

  1. MMMmmm! Sounds so good! Nick and I will have to try that out sometime.

    So I guess Karisty will be gone on the 6th but I am still down with just us going out to lunch. Is 11:00 ok? You can pick the place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can call this one "Lindsey on the rocks" - root beer flavor and pop rocks. Dumb idea, you say? Hmm. Ok... anything with chocolate and coconut and almonds and maybe some cinnamon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. I can tell my cravings are starting up....because I'm pretty sure I'm going home to make myself some s'mores with a big, huge, fat bowl of ice cream :0).

    ReplyDelete